The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences presents the 2019 Topics in Forensic Science Conference (TIFS): Forensic Biology & DNA - Current Trends and Emerging Practices, providing a forum to promote education and research, to discuss current and emerging investigative techniques in forensic biology & DNA, and to encourage interdisciplinary communication in the forensic sciences.
Which to Use: Familial DNA, Genealogy, or Genetic Phenotype in Forensic Investigations
- Rockne Harmon, J.D., Forensic/Cold Case Consultant
Cold Case Solved: Identification of a Suspect for the Golden State Killer
Using Investigative Genealogy
- Barbara Rae-Venter, J.D., Ph.D., Investigative Genealogy Consultant
Cold Case Investigation: Christy Mirack
- Christine Wilson, J.D., Assistant District Attorney,
- Christopher Erb, Detective, and
- Larry Martin, Detective
- Office of the District Attorney of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Additional topics will include:
• HCIFS Forensic Genetics Laboratory Trends
• HCIFS DNA Reports & STRmix
• HCIFS Identification Committee Case Studies
• Rapid DNA Testing
• Statewide CODIS DNA Database Program
• Mixture Interpretation & Legal Considerations
• And much more…
Improved Registration Process:
Group registration and group payment is now available.
$105 Registration Fee* for our highly anticipated, two-day conference covering forensic biology and DNA.
Who Should Attend?
• Law Enforcement Officers
• Public Defenders
• Private Attorneys
• Forensic DNA Analysts
• Forensic Investigators
• Medical Examiners/Coronors
• Crime Scene Investigators
• Forensic Anthropologists
• Forensic Scientists
• Forensic Science Partners
* Parking with in/out privileges provided at no extra fee. Lunch on both days is off-site and at your own expense, with many local restaurants near the Texas Medical Center for your selection.
HCIFS Training and Development Manager